I am live tweeting the presidential debates tonight. here are some disclaimers, or just general FYIs, about that:
1. I don’t pursue news or consider myself an expert on most issues. the things I know pretty well are octavia butler, being an aunt, organizational healing and development, facilitation and love. I don’t expect those to be the topics up for debate.
2. I’m watching the debate live streaming at home, and in Detroit that coverage can be kind of spotty, so there might be some delays.
3. when I feel frustrated, I make jokes. these jokes are rooted in love.
4. I really really wish there was instant runoff voting at the federal level. since there isn’t, I’m focusing on these candidates.
5. I recently read the handmaid’s tale and it reminded me there is a major difference between these candidates, these parties. one believes in women’s right to make decisions about our bodies, one doesn’t. there are other differences too, but when I hear folks say they are the same, this is the main thing that occurs to me. that and how they respond to the 47% of people not on their side, that’s the other major difference.
6. I know i’m voting for Obama/Biden, and I think most folks know who they are voting for. undecided voters, don’t click this link. my goal is not to shape that, but to examine what is being said by the candidates because this is an indicator of messaging, narrative building, and those who do social justice and media justice have to understand and help shape the messages that impact our lives and our communities.
7. to prepare, I did aikido and brushed my teeth. 🙂 let’s have fun!