1. i’m good at facilitating. and i love it. which means i can make a living doing what i love. focusing on black liberation has made this the most rewarding period of facilitation in my life.
2. i am of my mother. i use exclamation marks because i am genuinely excited. i play scrabble every day. where love is concerned, i know no rules.
3. very hot things will burn – fingers, tongue, heart. but no one believes this when they’re reaching. (burning myself is my most common injury.)
4. i love unveiling my truth.
5. i love love. falling in love, seeing people through eyes of love, loving against all logic, time spent on loving.
6. grief is gratitude.
7. i’m really funny. not always on purpose.
8. i rarely enjoy famous people in real life.
9. i’m gullible and trusting.
10. pleasure makes me feel powerful.
11. fear is a story i can change.
12. i am of my sisters. i know laughter is a path forward. and i know what it is to be flanked when i’m being brave.
13. emergent strategy.
14. my body is incredible.
15. i’m a writer. and i love every part of writing.
16. one at a time. one step at a time, word at a time, being-present-with-another at a time, book at a time, change at a time. one step toward liberation. one day at a time.
17. if i’m not meditating and centering, then my life is pure reaction to others. so i focus on my breath. i center. i live on purpose.
18. time is everything. time is sometimes the only thing i have.
19. i like marijuana. i really like it.
20. people who are bad for my health will most likely not experience me as being good for theirs, not in the long run.
21. i learn and work things out in my dreams.
22. i am a tarot reader, a healer and a witch.
23. i feel alive inside complexity. and i feel alive inside the simplicity of having no plans. my life needs a balance of these two extremes.
24. i am of my father. i am charming. i love to work, to be challenged, to be of use, to serve. and i am gifted with blackness.
25. auntie is a sacred, wondrous task. i just want to be excellent at this task.
26. i am practicing and learning and growing, even when i make mistakes. this is why i have no regrets.
27. i am not enough for some people – they want more. but not all people.
28. i am too much for some people – they want me to shrink. but not all people.
29. i love being alone, my company and freedom is precious to me.
30. i have two ancestors in particular who roll with me so hard that i rarely feel lonely.
31. i can’t control anything outside myself. not anything.
32. the worst things in the world will happen, day after day. i survive by putting my attention on what nourishes me and my loves.
33. i must practice the way i want to be. all the time.
34. the universe will help me, but only if i move towards what i truly want. (and not always in obvious ways.)
35. i’m beautiful, in my own way.
36. asking for support/collaboration from capable people makes my life worth living.
37. i need boundaries to feel free.
38. i doula, birth and parent so much. and it’s enough.
39. i’m magic. magic multiplies.